Rennard – who knew what and when? And why did he quit? – Media and blog round up: February 26th 2013

26th February, 2013 10:54 am

Subscribers to our morning email get the best of LabourList – including the Media and blog round up – every weekday morning. If you’d signed up you would have got this over an hour ago. You can sign up here.

Rennard – who knew what and when? And why did he quit?

“This newspaper [The Telegraph] contacted Jonny Oates, who is now the Deputy Prime Minister’s chief of staff, in April 2010 with five specific allegations of incidents allegedly involving Lord Rennard. The disclosure will add to the growing pressure on the Liberal Democrat leader who said last night that his office had only been aware of “non-specific” allegations surrounding the peer until last week.” – The Telegraph
“Senior Liberal Democrats suggested for the first time on Monday that Lord Rennard had not stood down as the party’s chief executive for health reasons, but after pressure from Nick Clegg’s office and the then party president over general allegations of sexual impropriety.” – Guardian
“The Liberal Democrats have slumped to their lowest rating in a national opinion poll, as the party struggles against claims of a cover-up surrounding the alleged behaviour of its former chief executive, Lord Rennard. The party is on just 8%, down two points from last month, while Ukip is on 9%, according to a survey for the Independent by ComRes. The poll shows Labour up four points on 43% and the Conservatives on 31%, down one point. Other parties are unchanged on 9%.” – Guardian

“Scotland Yard says it is looking at “whether or not criminal activity has taken place” after claims of sexual impropriety by former Liberal Democrat chief executive Lord Rennard. In a statement on its website, the Met said its Specialist Investigations Command had been “approached by officials in the Liberal Democrat Party following recent media reporting”.” – BBC

Electricians hit hardest by blacklisting

“A study by the GMB union has broken down the victims by their occupations for the first time and electricians were twice as likely as labourers to be blacklisted. Union officials believe they were targeted for being most likely to raise health and safety concerns on dangerous construction sites. The union is demanding a full public inquiry into the scandal of blacklisting and the 3,213-name list of construction workers, which was used to vet job applicants who were denied employment for union activity or raising health and safety issues.” – Mirror

Other highlights

To report anything from the comment section, please e-mail [email protected]
x

LabourList Daily Email

Everything Labour. Every weekday morning

Share with your friends










Submit