20 Labour MPs have announced that they are standing down at the next election, while a further 14 have quit the party since 2017. All need to be replaced with new Labour candidates – and emergency procedures for English seats have now kicked in wherever there is not yet a candidate picked.
Those local parties in Labour-held seats that had hustings scheduled before November 3rd were allowed to continue and conclude. Those that had not yet progressed to such an extent are having candidates chosen by panels, and local members will not get to vote directly.
Retirement seats (20)
- Ashfield (East Midlands). Gloria de Piero → Natalie Fleet.
- Bassetlaw (East Midlands). John Mann →
Sally Gimson.Keir Morrison.
- Blyth Valley (North East). Ronnie Campbell → Susan Dungworth.
- City of Durham (North East). Roberta Blackman-Woods → Mary Foy.
- Coventry North West (West Midlands). Geoffrey Robinson → Taiwo Owatemi.
- Coventry South (West Midlands). Jim Cunningham → Zarah Sultana.
- Cynon Valley (Wales). Ann Clwyd → Bethan Winter.
- Ealing North (London). Stephen Pound → James Murray.
- Erith and Thamesmead (London). Teresa Pearce → Abena Oppong-Asare.
- Liverpool West Derby (North West). Stephen Twigg → Ian Byrne.
- Newcastle-under-Lyme (West Midlands). Paul Farrelly → Carl Greatbatch.
- Pontypridd (Wales). Owen Smith → Alex Davies-Jones.
- Poplar and Limehouse (London). Jim Fitzpatrick → Apsana Begum.
- Rother Valley (Yorkshire & the Humber). Kevin Barron → Sophie Wilson.
- Vauxhall (London). Kate Hoey → Flo Eshalomi.
- Warrington North (North West). Helen Jones → Charlotte Nichols.
- West Bromwich East (West Midlands). Tom Watson → Ibrahim Dogus.
- West Bromwich West (West Midlands). Adrian Bailey → James Cunningham.
- Wrexham (Wales). Ian Lucas → Mary Wimbury.
- Ynys Môn (Wales). Albert Owen → Mary Roberts.
Defection seats (14)
- Barrow and Furness. John Woodcock → Chris Altree.
- Birkenhead. Frank Field → Mick Whitley.
- Bury South. Ivan Lewis → Lucy Burke.
- Dudley North. Ian Austin → Melanie Dudley.
- Enfield North. Joan Ryan → Feryal Clark.
- Ilford South. Mike Gapes → Sam Tarry.
- Liverpool Riverside. Louise Ellman → Kim Johnson.
- Liverpool Wavertree. Luciana Berger → Paula Barker.
- Luton South. Gavin Shuker → Rachel Hopkins.
- Nottingham East. Chris Leslie → Nadia Whittome.
- Penistone and Stocksbridge. Angela Smith → Fran Johnson.
- Sheffield Hallam. Jared O’Mara → Olivia Blake.
- Stockport. Ann Coffey → Nav Mishra.
- Streatham. Chuka Umunna → Bell Ribeiro-Addy.
Suspension seats (3)
Three MPs were suspended from the Labour Party, as listed below. The national executive committee (NEC) decided not to endorse Hepburn and Williamson as Labour candidates.
- Derby North. Chris Williamson → Tony Tinley.
- Jarrow. Stephen Hepburn → Kate Osborne.
- Luton North. Kelvin Hopkins, also retiring. → Sarah Owen.
Trigger seat (1)
As well as the suspended MPs, Labour’s NEC decided not to endorse Roger Godsiff – one of the MPs ‘triggered’ (i.e. not automatically reselected, but not deselected) – as a candidate.
Birmingham Hall Green. Roger Godsiff → Tahir Ali.