What’s going on at the MoD?

February 5, 2013 10:56 am

Author:

Tags:

Share this Article

On Tuesday evening last week David Cameron said he wanted to ring-fence the entire defence budget from 2015. By Wednesday morning Philip Hammond was desperately ‘clarifying’ that the only portion of the budget for which any guarantee could be made was the equipment element, which is less than 40% of the total. What Ministers did not tell you was that on the same day the National Audit Office released a report on defence equipment which said the Government’s guarantees will only be affordable if non-equipment spending is cut, which means more likely reductions in welfare, housing and personnel.

The significance of last week’s governmental incompetence is twofold. First, as part of his apprenticeship for the job in government he has had his eye on for almost a decade – Chancellor – Philip Hammond is desperately trying to build a reputation on ‘balancing the books’, but the NAO report exposed the fact he is failing to do so. Second, the Prime Minister is unaware of his own defence spending policy, which not just accounts for £34bn of taxpayer pounds but goes to the heart of our ability to achieve our ambitions in the world and protect our service personnel.

Many will think will take some beating as an example of government shambles – or as one wag has called it #bombnishambles, or #armygeddon – but there is a ready-made contender. A Defence Select Committee report is published today which revisits the flawed 2010 Defence Review and the Government’s decision to change the planes that fly from our future aircraft carriers. Out went the vertical take off and land variant, which Labour had planned to introduce, to be replaced by the ‘cats and traps’ variant of the Joint Strike Fighter. Standing at the Dispatch Box in 2010 David Cameron announced his plans to reverse Labour’s  policy, scrap all the Harriers, which left us without aircraft to fly from carriers for a decade, sell Ark Royal, build two carriers but mothball one and sack trainee pilots.

Soon the plan began to unravel and, just weeks in to the job, Philip Hammond had the humiliation of performing a u-turn and returning to Labour’s original plans. Their u-turn only came full circle after an embarrassment of errors. They said their policy was cheaper – but it was more expensive by up to £2bn more than planned. They said the UK would be interoperable with the French – but their chosen jet couldn’t even land on the French carrier. The Prime Minister personally derided a policy he has now adopted.

Ministers scrapped the Harrier Jump jet fleet, but the irony now is that the Government are in fact buying a new fleet of jump jets, meaning we will need to retrain and redevelop the skills carelessly cast aside. It is as incoherent as it is ludicrous.

The Select Committee has now concluded that the ‘decision was rushed and based upon incomplete and inaccurate policy development…This decision ultimately led to increased costs to the carrier strike programme and a delay in the in-service date of the carrier.’ The report shows that the decision has cost the taxpayer £100m, and seems set to rise still further.

This all comes as there are rising concerns across the Government’s defence planning.  There are real worries over proposals to increase the number of Reservists to plug the capability gaps left by deep cuts in the fulltime Army. For our nation’s sake we need that policy to succeed but there is as yet no government offer to incentivise employers, who are understandably concerned about losing employees for longer periods of Reservists service. The Government are also now considering cutting those who support our Special Forces at a time when they are needed to help deal with al Qaeda.  Meanwhile the ‘bedroom tax’ could hit Forces families while their loved ones train or serve overseas and changes to public sector pensions have failed to give defence fire and police services the same exemptions in the rising retirement age as their civilian counterparts.  This all shows a set of Ministers either not on top of the detail or inconsiderate of their people’s needs.

At a time when our Forces are being asked to do more overseas in new contexts they are being given less frontline resource, cuts in welfare support and limited strategic guidance. New and complex challenges collide with fiscal realities to make tough decisions and trade-offs necessary, but this must be underpinned by direction, sound financing and a compassion that drives a determination to do the utmost by those who serve and their families.  The last few weeks have shown us that the Government demonstrates none of these qualities. Incompetence is corrosive when it comes to the government’s policy on defence.  They can’t go on like this.

Jim Murphy is the Shadow Secretary of State for Defence

  • Pingback: What’s going on at the MoD? | Labour Friends of the Forces()

  • http://www.facebook.com/ptanto Paul Tanto

    Delivering two aircraft carriers without planes to fly from them does, indeed, take a staggering lack of competence / attention to detail.

  • uglyfatbloke

    Just the next step in the sad tale of British defence policy since god knows when. is there a competition between the two parties to see who can do the most stupid things while sucking up to major military suppliers? The carrier programme was pretty silly in the first place and the Tories have made it even more so, but Labour has nothing to boast about here…Trident? The tank replacement programme? What next ? A new bow-and -arrow factory?
    Billions spent on kit that does n’t work and pointless operations, but we can’t pay a decent wage to our service personnel, OTH we can somehow afford more admirals than we have ships, more generals that we have battalions and – so i’ m told – more Air marshals than we have squadrons and there is no control over the revolving door arrangements of senior officers joining defence corporations as soon as they leave the service.
    So that’s great……

Latest

  • Featured Election chief Alexander sets out campaign priorities in email to supporters

    Election chief Alexander sets out campaign priorities in email to supporters

    Labour’s election co-ordinator Douglas Alexander has set out the three priorities for the party’s national campaign over the next three weeks. He says Labour won’t run a personality-led campaign (pledging not to feature Cameron on any of their posters), that Labour are willing to take part in TV debates, and that the aim to have four million conversations with voters will be at the heart of the campaign. This kind of “memo” to supporters is not completely new (the last […]

    Read more →
  • News Scotland Candidate selected to replace Alistair Darling in Edinburgh South West

    Candidate selected to replace Alistair Darling in Edinburgh South West

    Ricky Henderson has been selected as the to fight the Edinburgh South West seat as the Labour candidate for this year’s election. The seat is being vacated by retiring former Chancellor and Better Together chair Alistair Darling, who has been an MP since 1987. Ricky Henderson, 53, has been a councillor in Edinburgh for 16 years. Speaking after the selection tonight, he said: “I am absolutely delighted to have been chosen to succeed Alistair Darling as Labour’s candidate. He will […]

    Read more →
  • News Scotland Video SNP surge “is real” – Lord Ashcroft speaks ahead of Scottish polling announcement

    SNP surge “is real” – Lord Ashcroft speaks ahead of Scottish polling announcement

    Labour activists, MPs and strategists will be paying close attention to Lord Ashcroft’s polling of Scottish seats (which should be out in the next few days), but for a taster on that – and the impact of UKIP, watch this interview of Ashcroft from Sky News’s Joey Jones:

    Read more →
  • News Roy Hattersley defends Miliband over NHS election focus

    Roy Hattersley defends Miliband over NHS election focus

    Former Labour deputy leader Roy Hattersley has leapt to Ed Miliband’s defence, after the current leader received criticism from former ministers this week for relying on the NHS too much as an election issue. Alan Milburn and John Hutton made public their scepticism about Labour’s plans for the NHS, with former Health Secretary Milburn saying “major reform” was needed in the health service. Following Neil Kinnock’s call for an end to “sniping from behind”, Hattersley has also come forward to attack […]

    Read more →
  • News Wales Former Welsh Secretary Paul Murphy announces retirement

    Former Welsh Secretary Paul Murphy announces retirement

    Paul Murphy, MP for Torfaen, has announced he will stand down from Parliament in May. Murphy has represented the constituency for 28 years, since first being elected in the 1987 election. He served as Secretary of State for Wales twice, under both Blair and Brown: his first stint between 1999 and 2002 was followed by another 18 months in the role between 2008 and 2009. He also served as Secretary of State for Northern Ireland between 2002 and 2005, and […]

    Read more →