Ed Miliband will confirm this morning what has long been assumed – he will not pledge an EU referendum. In an op-ed for the FT(£) published today, Miliband states that Labour’s position on Europe is “clear”. That’s evidently a matter of opinion, as the pre-briefing around his speech has led the Mirror to claim Miliband is pledging a referendum, whilst the FT claims that he isn’t. The FT are largely right on this one. Miliband has no intention of going […]
There’s been plenty of coverage of Ed Miliband (almost) ruling out an EU referendum today (of which more on LabourList this morning), but there’s been relatively little coverage of the six ways in which Labour wants to change Europe (which...
The recent passing of Ed Miliband’s party reforms (via the “Collins Review”) at Special Conference set in motion the process of changing the way the party is organised. But there were a number of loose ends to tie up, including how the...
John Mann writes to Ed Miliband – and calls on him to pledge an EU Referendum within 12 months of the next election
Labour backbencher John Mann has today written to Ed Miliband, calling on him to pledge an EU referendum within 12 months of the 2015 General Election. Citing a survey in his constituency, Mann says that “the people are becoming restless and my...
- Tory Minister under fire after implying there are no women on the MPC because appointments are “based on merit”
- Ed Miliband on Bob Crow “a major figure in the labour movement…loved and deeply respected by his members”
- Tory Minister Freud says it’s “very hard” to know why people use Food Banks
The crisis in Ukraine brings us to the governance of London. For us, citizens of a country whose capital city is a crossroads for global capital, foreign policy does not just happen out there. British politicians anxiously vex about their ‘impotence’...
These are clearly tough times for the Co-operative Group. Something has clearly gone wrong in the business and real change will be needed to put things right. The outgoing Chief Executive, Euan Sutherland is obviously a man of considerable intellect...
Despite the government trumpeting a recovery, hard working people and small businesses in places like Dudley are still struggling. Both will be watching the upcoming Budget closely for some sign that the government understands what they’re going...
- Could nine million current voters be about to disappear from the electoral register?
- Gordon Brown still has something significant to contribute to political life
- Parliament must stop arrogant Jeremy Hunt from overstepping the mark